Seeing What The Father Does

 


But Jesus answered them, “My Father is still working, and I also am working.” For this reason the Jews were seeking all the more to kill him, because he was not only breaking the sabbath, but was also calling God his own Father, thereby making himself equal to God.

Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, the Son can do nothing on his own, but only what he sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, the Son does likewise. The Father loves the Son and shows him all that he himself is doing; and he will show him greater works than these, so that you will be astonished. Indeed, just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, so also the Son gives life to whomever he wishes. The Father judges no one but has given all judgment to the Son, so that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. Anyone who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him. Very truly, I tell you, anyone who hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life, and does not come under judgment, but has passed from death to life.

“Very truly, I tell you, the hour is coming, and is now here, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live. For just as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself; and he has given him authority to execute judgment, because he is the Son of Man. Do not be astonished at this; for the hour is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and will come out—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.

“I can do nothing on my own. As I hear, I judge; and my judgment is just, because I seek to do not my own will but the will of him who sent me.


Today’s reading follows the one yesterday where Jesus healed a man who was sitting by a pool at Bethsaida. The Jews took serious offense because not only did Jesus heal the man on the Sabbath, a day during which no work was permitted, he made himself equal to God by calling him his father. However, since we have been talking about miracles for the last couple of days, I’d like to continue speaking about them, because I want to see them happen in our lives. So let me tell you another story. 


One day, Peter and John were on their way to the temple to pray when they saw a man who was lame from birth being carried to the temple gate. He was put there every morning to beg. When he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for money. Peter and John turned to the beggar. Then Peter said, “Look at us!” So the man looked at them, expecting to get something from them. But Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.” 


He gripped his hand and helped him up, and immediately the man’s feet and ankles became strong and he began to walk and jump about. It was an amazing miracle—you will find it in Acts 3—but did you ever wonder how they knew to heal this man. I mean, there were certainly countless beggars they passed by every day, but they didn’t stop to heal them all. They stopped to heal this particular guy. What made them choose him?


We may have the answer in today’s gospel. Jesus says, “Very truly, I tell you, the Son can do nothing on his own, but only what he sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, the Son does likewise.” I am pretty sure that Peter saw this beggar being healed by the Father even before he saw him being carried to the gates of the temple. And how did that happen? In prayer. These guys were in a deep relationship with God, just as Jesus was, constantly seeking God’s will. And God showed them what it was.


Jesus says that we will do mighty things just as he did (see John 14:12) but we can’t do anything unless and until we are locked in a relationship on a permanent basis with God. And that means remaining in him like a branch remains in the vine. As Jesus said, if we remain in him and him in us, we will bear much fruit. And that includes doing things like what Peter and John did. And so many others after him.


Be with God. And God will show you what you need to do.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let’s Get Healed - A Reflection on Matthew 18:21-19:1

Patience - A Reflection on Luke 2:33-35.

Dying and Killing