What Do You Look Like? - A Reflection on Luke 8:19-21



Then his mother and his brothers came to him, but they could not reach him because of the crowd. And he was told, “Your mother and your brothers are standing outside, wanting to see you.” But he said to them, “My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and do it.” 

“My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and do it.” Now, right in the beginning of the Gospel of John, we find Jesus’ “favorite apostle” saying that “to all who did receive (Jesus), to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God” (John 1:8). As children, we expect certain things from our father, and these are always forthcoming. However, we often forget that certain things are expected of us in return, and one of these is obedience to his word. 

 

James said, “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do”. That’s James 1:.22-25.

 

John said, “We know that we have come to know (Jesus) if we keep his commands. Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person. But if anyone obeys his word, love for God is truly made complete in them. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did.” That’s 1 John 2:3-6. If we live as Jesus did, it means that we are doing a pretty good job of keeping his commands.  

 

And Jesus said, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.” That’s John 14:23-24. Jesus also said, “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.” And that’s Matthew 7:21. 

 

There are plenty more such verses, but I figure you got the point. Which is this: If we say we know Jesus, we will keep his commands. Period.

 

Watch a video of this reflection by Aneel Aranha here: https://youtu.be/LrNH2dWFUig

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let’s Get Healed - A Reflection on Matthew 18:21-19:1

Patience - A Reflection on Luke 2:33-35.

Dying and Killing