Mary Dearest

 




While he was still speaking to the crowds, his mother and his brothers were standing outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, “Look, your mother and your brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.” But to the one who had told him this, Jesus replied, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” And pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”

Pardon me, but I have never understood the animosity that some Christians harbor against Mary, the mother of Jesus. Even if they believe, incorrectly as it happens, that Catholics worship Mary, the venom with which they often speak of her boggles the mind. I mean, come on! This is a woman of grace chosen by God to become the mother of his son who would be savior of the world. How can anybody speak of her with anything other than the utmost respect. 

The people who are disrespectful of her often use this passage that we read today to “prove” that even Jesus had little respect for his mother. In it we find Jesus telling the people listening to him that his disciples were his mother and his brothers. The implication seems to be that Mary is not. But listen fully to what Jesus says. “Whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.” I don’t know of any other person in the history of the world, Scriptural heroes included, who did the will of God as Mary did.

Right from the time she was little — remember she was barely a teenager when the angel Gabriel appeared to her addressing her as being full of grace — she moved in the will of God. When the angel told her that she was going to give birth to the Son of God, I am not sure how much she really understood, but she said nonetheless: “Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word” (Luke 1:38). And she continued to let it be done to her according to God’s word all her life. 

This, according to Jesus’ definition made her his mother, even if she were not REALLY his mother. But the fact is that she was, and I don’t think he would be very happy if we didn’t treat her right. Look at it this way. I know that most of you watching this have respect for me. If you were to meet my mother, wouldn’t you treat her with respect? If you didn’t, how would I feel? And I’m just a man, guys. This is Jesus we are talking about. And Mary is HIS mother. So, it might be a good idea to re-examine how we look at her again.

And, when we do, we might find Mary a wonderful role model in how to be obedient to the will of God. The entire point of Jesus’ comment was to tell us that obedience is what really determines our relationship with him. He will consider those who obey him his family. We often struggle with obedience. But if a young teenager could be obedient, and remain obedient despite all the struggles she went through, then perhaps we might be inspired to do so as well.

Watch a video of this reflection by Aneel Aranha here: https://youtu.be/LP0gPNzhWHM


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let’s Get Healed - A Reflection on Matthew 18:21-19:1

Patience - A Reflection on Luke 2:33-35.

Dying and Killing